National Champion of Student Voice
One of Carroll Family Learning Center Coordinator Cassy Lee’s graduating eighth graders said it best when reflecting to her, “You blew away my idea of what a librarian is!” School Library Journal has echoed that assessment by naming her Librarian Champion of Student Voice in its national Librarian of the Year Awards program announced today.
The judging panel for the award recognized Mrs. Lee’s outstanding work in creating a welcoming and academically stimulating environment for students at the 888 Campus. They lauded her efforts to put youth participation front-seat at CAIS, from her creation of the School Library Advisory Committee where students help plan programming to the CAIS News Crew where they gain hands-on media literacy skills as they highlight campus life. The committee made special note of Mrs. Lee’s important efforts in support of the school’s diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments by:
- collaborating with colleagues to develop an identity-based unit plan
- hosting professional development sessions
- challenging students to learn about different cultures by planning “The Human Library”—a half-day event featuring small group discussions with guest speakers sharing their stories and personal experiences with discrimination
In addition to her work being featured in School Library Journal’s September 2018 issues, Mrs. Lee receives an award package including:
- $1,000 worth of Scholastic products
- an in-person visit from the Ambassador of School Libraries for Scholastic Book Fairs, John Schumacher aka “Mr. Schu”
- a “Mr. Schu’s Scholastic Book Fair Picks” collection of books
- an invitation to participate in a 2019 Scholastic Book Fairs Summer Reading Summit
As Head of School Jeff Bissell is quoted in the SLJ article, “If the library is the campus’ town square, then Cassy Lee is the mayor, often found surrounded by a cluster of students.” We are so proud of our Champion of Student Voice and grateful for the special role she plays in making CAIS become its best self.
CAIS Middle School will be honoring Mrs. Lee at a special assembly on the afternoon of Monday, September 10. Parents are invited; look for details on exact time in an upcoming CAIS Notices.