Eight Things to Know About Mass Greeting
牛年团拜及迎春大会 Mass Greeting and Spring Welcome
Chinese Program Director Kevin Chang shares details about CAIS’s Lunar New Year celebration.
- Lunar New Year is also called Spring Festival (Chun Jie) in Chinese tradition. It means the first day of the lunar calendar that cycles through 12 signs of the Chinese Zodiac. This coming year will be the Year of the Ox, which begins on Friday, February 12, 2021.
- The purpose of Mass Greeting, one of the biggest annual events at CAIS, is to celebrate the Lunar New Year and embrace Chinese culture with CAIS community members. The majority of Mass Greeting performances are designed and planned by Chinese classroom teachers with Lunar New Year as the main theme.
- The 2021 Mass Greeting is scheduled on Thursday, February 11, 2021, and it will be a virtual event this year. The program will start at 9:30 a.m. and will end tentatively around 10:15 a.m.
- The most important element of the Mass Greeting is “Greeting with Auspicious Words,” a welcome in which students, faculty, staff, parents, and grandparents take the opportunity to wish each other a wonderful new year. (Link with audio for you to practice)
- Hongbao — the red envelope is a must-have Lunar New Year tradition. The younger generation receives Hongbao with good luck money from the elders or seniors as a gesture of well wishes for the new year.
- Dress code: traditional Chinese style outfits and clothes in red are the most popular. Other brightly colored outfits are also welcome. Traditionally, white clothing is not worn during the Lunar New Year because in Chinese culture, the color white is associated with funerals. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that white clothes should be avoided during the Mass Greeting.
- There will be a lion dance and symbolic firecrackers (plastic bubble wrap is used to create sound resembling that of firecrackers).
- The celebration period of Lunar New Year ends with the Lantern Festival (Yuan Xiao Jie) on the 15th day of the lunar year, which will be Friday, February 26, 2021.